Welcome to 2024!
The Lord bless you and bring you peace and joy as we enter a new academic year. I hope you are feeling wonderfully refreshed after a hot, humid and (at times) rainy summer break.
As we approach the beginning of a new school year, we understand that the transition can be both exciting and a bit nerve-wracking for students. To help start the academic year on a positive note, we've compiled some useful tips and suggestions. When the time is right, please take a moment to share these with your student as we prepare for the routines of a new year:
- Organise Equipment: Encourage your child to gather all necessary school supplies well in advance. Having the right tools on hand helps set a positive tone for the school year.
- Establish a Routine: Start adjusting sleep schedules and daily routines a week or two before the school year begins. This helps children ease into the early morning wake-ups and sets the stage for a smoother morning routine. Rehearse the daily routine a little, without excessive pressure.
- Set Goals: Sit down with your child to discuss their goals for the upcoming school year. Whether it's academic achievements, extracurricular activities, or personal growth, having clear objectives can provide motivation and focus. Grade Coordinators and Heads of House will do a similar exercise here but it is worth doing in advance.
- Create a Dedicated Study Space: Thank you for arranging a regular, quiet and organised space for studying at home. Having a dedicated study area can enhance concentration and efficacy.
- Encourage Time Management: Teach your child the importance of managing their time effectively. They can’t do everything. Setting aside specific times for homework, study sessions, and leisure activities makes a big difference. The adults in the household should do the same – and make a covenant together.
- Stay Connected: Foster open communication with your child. Encourage them to share their experiences and feelings about the upcoming school year. Knowing they have your support can make a significant difference.
- Emphasise Healthy Habits: Remind your child of the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. This includes getting enough sleep, eating nutritious meals, and staying physically active. The Barker co-curricular program offers lashings of help in this regard.
- Stay Positive: Approach the new school year with a positive attitude. Encourage your child to view challenges as opportunities for growth and learning. Start afresh.
- Get Involved: Encourage your child to participate in extracurricular life. This not only enhances their school experience but also helps them make new friends with shared interests.
- Be Supportive: Let your child know that you are there to support them, no matter what challenges may arise. A strong support system at home can greatly contribute to a child's success in school. We are all on their side and want only the best for them.
We are excited to embark on this new academic journey with your child at Barker College. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us. We wish you all a joyous and fulfilling school year ahead!